We animal lovers are a unique breed with special travel needs. Making sure we have access to vegetarian or vegan food while on the road is one thing. But In the depths of our souls, we feel a deeper hunger: a longing to befriend animals, connect with them emotionally and help them live happily.
Green Earth Travel is run by and for animal lovers, so we understand how important realizing this profound desire can be. That’s why we offer specialty volunteer travel packages that enable you to spend part or all of your vacation living and working at an animal sanctuary! Green Earth Travel partners with nonprofit animal sanctuaries in the U.S. and abroad to arrange for onsite accommodations and meals during your stay, as well as meaningful work for you to do – but there’s more.
“Voluntourism” isn’t for those who simply want to relax in the lap of luxury during their well-deserved time off: it’s for those seeking a meaningful, memorable experience through service. Sanctuaries aren’t petting zoos: many of the animals living there have been rescued from abandonment, abuse and endangerment as a result of habitat destruction or poaching. Chores like feeding animals and cleaning out stalls may not be glamorous, but where else would you get to spend your days hanging out with a whole lot of friendly dogs, cats, birds, farm animals or primates?
Five Great Reasons to Take a Volunteer Vacation:
- To make a real difference in the lives of animals who need our help
- Devoting your time, energy and specific skills to a worthy cause is spiritually rewarding
- Get some new hands-on work experiences – you may just find yourself a fulfilling new career!
- Some volunteer vacations are family friendly! Your kids will love getting to know the animals better!
- Since these trips have a purpose beyond recreation, your travel expenses maybe wholly or partially tax-deductible (check with your CPA or tax organizer).